In the last post (Internet Marketing 101 – How to Begin and Options), we discussed:
- Why you should start internet marketing (we looked at some astounding data that reinforced the reasons why to begin internet marketing),
- How to start by looking at your objectives and how you intend to find quality traffic.
- Options available on how you can get to your target audience through a website, blog-site, social account or simply by listing your business information in review websites and directories.
Now, let`s see how you can effectively set up your website, social media accounts and business listings.
Setting up your own website
To set up your own website, you will need the following
Get a domain through a domain registrar such as Godaddy or Hostgator. There are plenty more registrars available. The domain is basically the name/address of your website. Get a domain name that works well for you.
There are many TLDs [top-level domains – .com, .net, .org and other country coded domains eg. .co.uk (UK), .com.ph & .ph (Philippines), .br (brazil)] that you can choose from, don`t fret if something you like is already taken. You just have to be creative. Try and keep your domain relevant to your business, it should be as short and memorable as possible.
While the domain is an address, servers are like “hard-drives” that keep all the digital information for a website. The domain although appears to us as a “name”, it is infact a numerical address. When this numerical address joins the numerical address of the server, they start to work as one for the needs of the website. You can also configure the server and domain to start your own unique email with domain system. All you will need is a webmaster to help you with this. Sometimes, your site-developer can do this for free for you. You can get the server of your choice at Godaddy, Hostgator or Rackspace to name a few.
- Website Layout
Get a web designer or developer to design and code your website. In case you feel that their prices are beyond your budget, consider downloading either free or paid website layout templates that may work for you. You can get them at squarespace.com, wordpress and even blogger.
Setting up social media accounts
All you really require to set up social media accounts is an email address. You can get free email accounts at Gmail, Yahoomail or Hotmail.
Gmail is preferable in my opinion because later down, you will see that you will need a Gmail or Google account for various other free tools such as Google Places Listing, YouTube, Google Drive and more.
There are many social websites where you can choose to work in. Some of the most popular ones are:
- Google Plus or G+
All of these social media sites have an easy registration process. You will be up in social media in no time. After these accounts are made, you can start
- Connecting with friends, family and people in your contact list. Most of these sites have fabulous features that allows you to massively upload email addresses into them, so that you can start connecting with these contacts in the different social media websites.
- Making Pages – pages are different that personal profiles. When working in social media, it is more favorable to work in them from both perspectives i.e. personal and company accounts. Use company pages to highlight the very best of your won and other people`s content, while with the personal account, you can be more adventurous, bring out your own unique voice and build actual social media relationships. Read more about bringing your Uniqueness in Internet Marketing.
If you want further direction on how to start social media for business, read how businesses use Social media effectively.
Sometimes, you may just want your customers to find you listed in review websites like Google Maps, Google Business and Yelp. Getting listed on other directory websites like Yellowpages can also be useful .
For Google listing products and services, all you will ever need is a gmail address to get listed along with a few requirements such as business name, address and phone.
There are many benefits to getting listed correctly. Google local seo, favors local businesses that build reputation in review websites and directories. By doing just so, there is a chance that you may just rank for a keyword or keywords in Page 1 of Google.